Question: Any advice for teenager with recent arm amputation in regards to a “one-handed word processing” program
Answer: The Dragon Naturally Speaking software is VERY good and VERY accurate once you train your voice to it.
The iPhone or iPad voice recognition is also fairly accurate if you annunciate your words clearly.
Many patients use a software program prior to regaining proficiency with handwriting in the previously non-dominant hand.
Thanks for the question,
From our friends at Giraffe Childcare & Early Learning
Please include attribution to http://www.giraffe.ie/ with this graphic.
This revised edition of Handwriting For Heroes reflects the growth of the handwriting program based on research and feedback of many “heroes” who have taken the time to complete the workbook and send us wisdom from their experience. As always, you can order this edition directly from the publisher, Amazon.com, or other fine e-tailers.
The following represent the major revisions of this edition:
- Added weekly handwriting goals: this is an important improvement because it empowers self-reflection and goal-setting, both of which are necessary in any long-lasting behavioral change
- Added Daily Speed Assessment: allows the learner to record his/her time to complete the Daily Dozen (the 12 main exercises). Speed is only one component of performance, but is easy to chart over time. An instruction to select and **star** the writing sample of highest quality encourages self-appraisal.
- Added a Self-Perception Questionnaire on Handwriting Ability: a 5-question instrument used as a pre– and post-test to the program. Whether working with a therapist or solo, the questionnaire is a great tool to evaluate the three main components: readability, speed (efficiency) and appearance.
- Added optional Letters-per-Minute Self-Assessment: allows learner to chart his/her writing performance and compare it to a set of normative values. Please visit our website www.HandwritingForHeroes.com to share your own scores!
- Added Weekly Compliance Score: allows therapists to gauge how much of the program is being completed in aid of developing realistic goals for therapy. It may also provide insight into the learner’s motivation and tolerance for handwriting activities.
In the wisdom of the Chinese proverb about “a journey of a thousand miles starting with a single step,” we need only begin!
We sincerely hope you enjoy this updated version of Handwriting For Heroes
—Kristin and Katie